How to apply for a rental property

To apply for a rental property, you need to provide documentation to the real estate agent or landlord that proves your ability to pay rent, as well as your ability to take care of the property. If your application is successful, you will need to sign a document called a lease agreement, which is a legally binding contract between you and your landlord.
Another popular option for international students is renting or ‘leasing’ a property by yourself or with others. You can do this through a real estate agent or check out several rental and share boards online. Rental accommodation can range from small studio apartments to large share houses. If you rent a property, you are known as a tenant, and the homeowner is known as a landlord. Others who rent with you are known as housemates or flatmates, and the house is known as a ‘sharehouse’.
Living with a Queensland family is a great opportunity to immerse yourself in Aussie culture. This is a great option for younger students who want to spend quality time with a host family and have all their meals provided. Your homestay family will provide you with a furnished bedroom and a desk, daily meals, and a safe environment to socialise and improve your English skills
The most common types of accommodation for international students in Queensland include homestays with an Australian family or rental accommodation.
Shared rental with other students

Living with others is a convenient and affordable way to rent a property. If you have friends that want to move into the same house, you can apply for a rental property together. Another option is to join an existing sharehouse. To look for a housemate, check out websites such as:

Private rental

Renting privately is a more expensive option, but if you prefer to live alone and have a car space or a spare room for visiting friends and family, then this is something you might consider. It just depends on what is important to you and your budget. The costs will vary depending on where you want to live and the type of accommodation you choose. check out websites such as:

The average cost of sharehouses and private rentals varies greatly, depending on whether you are renting a house or an apartment, as well as in what area you live in. Studio apartments are small but affordable, while 2 and 3-bedroom apartments are spacious but more expensive.

 According to the RTA, in December 2019 the average weekly rent in Queensland was: Brisbane City 2-bedroom apartment – AUD $4252-bedroom house – AUD $400

Your rights and obligations as a tenant

Before you decide to apply for a rental property, it’s a good idea to familiarise yourself with your rights and responsibilities as a tenant. The Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) is the governing body that looks after the rights of tenants, landlords and real estate agents. Their website has lots of great information about moving out, getting your rental bond back and resolving disputes.

Generally, if you pay your rent on time, take good care of the property and do not disturb your neighbours, you will be on track to avoid any problems. It’s also a good idea to keep a record of all documents about the tenancy (entry condition report, lease agreement, rent receipts etc).

Unable to pay rent

If you are unable to pay your rent due to loss of income, talk to your landlord or real estate agent as soon as possible to see what options are available to you. You can also get in touch with the Student Support Officer of Griffin College and we can help you to contact with right Authority  to discuss your options.

You will also be required to pay an amount of money known as a bond, which is usually four weeks of rent. This bond is a security measure for the landlord in case of cleaning or damages to the property. When your lease agreement ends and you vacate the property, the bond is paid back to you if there are no issues.

Bond payments are held by the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA), a Queensland Government authority that handles any disputes made by homeowners and tenants.